Financial Administration FAQs

We have compiled a list of the most commonly asked questions regarding financial administration. 

Supported decision-making is an empowering approach to assist individuals with impaired decision-making abilities in actively participating in decisions that affect their lives. 

Our Supported decision-making framework, launched in October 2023, represented a significant change aimed at enhancing the lives of individuals with impaired decision-making abilities.

Accessing the Guidelines:

Please click here to download our Supported Decision-making Guidelines

The first thing we will do is arrange to speak with you and/ or your support person/s so that we can find out more about you and start helping you with your finances.

In this conversation we will:

  • Talk about our role and responsibilities.
  • Explain the administration process.
  • Ask you questions about your financial goals (like what you like to spend money on and if you are saving up for anything in the future)
  • Discuss your budget.
  • Identify and deal with any urgent financial matters.
  • Explain our fees and charges.

To help you prepare for our first conversation we recommend you have the following information with you.  Some of these things might not be applicable to you, so don’t worry if you don’t have everything listed here.

  • Your identification – like your birth certificate or your passport or your proof of age card
  • Your Medicare Number and/or your Private Health Insurance Number (if you have one)
  • Your Tax File Number or a copy of your last Tax return or a copy of your latest Notice of Assessment
  • Your latest bank account statement
  • Details about any direct debits that are set up from your bank account or any regular bills you pay
  • Information about any money you are owed
  • Invoices for any debts that you have not paid
  • Information about any pensions or superannuation you receive (Australian and/ or foreign)
  • If you own a car, your registration and car insurance details
  • Information about where you live (like a copy of your rental contract or tenancy agreement).
  • If you own your own home a copy of your property title, mortgage and insurance details.
  • Share certificates or information about investments, if you have any
  • Information about anyone who you think might leave money or assets to you in their Will
  • Any other important information that you think we should know about your financial goals. You may want to think about activities you like doing (like going to the movies or traveling) so that we can include them in your budget.

Who will help you

While your Administration Order is in place one of our team members will be your dedicated Client Account Manager and will help you with the management of your finances.

You can contact your Client Account Manager by phone or email, or make an appointment to visit them at our office. Your Client Account Manager may also talk with your support person/s and family about your financial matters.

We also have a team of experts in investments, financial planning, property management, taxation and legal matters who can help you achieve the best possible financial outcomes.

When will it start?

Your Administration Order starts as soon as the Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal makes its decision, however, it will take some time for us to make sure everything is arranged – this can take up to six (6) weeks. During this time you will be working with your Client Account Manager and can contact them at any time if you have any questions or financial requests.

In many cases a personal budget will be set up for you and you may receive an allowance for personal spending. The allowance will generally be put into your bank account via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) so that you can access the funds directly.

To make sure that your money is only spent on things that you can afford, and that support your interests and goals, special purchases will need to be discussed in advance with your Client Account Manager.

If the special purchase is suitable and affordable, we can approve it and arrange for the payment to be made. We will usually pay the bill or invoice directly on your behalf but if your support person pays for the purchase, we will need them to give proof of the payment (like a receipt or bank statement) before we can pay them back.

While your Administration Order is in place, we can only use your funds to benefit you. This means that we cannot approve extra money to be spent on gifts for other people. If it is appropriate for someone else to benefit from your assets or income, we can help you to arrange an application to the Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

You may wish to request money for a special purchase that was not included in your initial budget.  You and/or your support person must tell us of any additional purchases you wish to make, before making them.  We will then discuss the suitability of this purchase with you and/or your support person.

This is to ensure that each purchase is affordable for you. If the purchase is approved, we will determine the best way for payment to be made. We usually pay the bill direct.

If necessary, we can reimburse any money that your support person may have spent.  To do this, we will need evidence of the payment (such as receipts or a bank statement) before they can be reimbursed.

The Tribunal will review the Administration Order before it ends. At the review, the Tribunal will check to see that your needs are being met and will decide if you still need our help.

If you (or another interested person) would like to have your order reviewed before that time, or would like to have the Public Trustee removed as your Administrator, you will need to complete a ‘Review of Order’ application with the Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

You will also need a medical practitioner, psychologist, neuro-psychologist or psychiatrist to complete a Health Care Professional Report to make sure that you are capable of making your own decisions.

Before completing the form, you or your support person/s should contact the Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal to talk about the process:

Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Phone: 1800 657 500
Address: 38 Barrack Street, Hobart, TAS, 7000

An Administrator is appointed by the Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (the Tribunal).

The the Tribunal will only appoint an administrator when a person is aged 18 years and over and:

  • has disability; and
  • cannot make reasonable decisions about financial and property matters because of his or her disability; and
  • there is no less restrictive way of providing assistance.

The power to act as an Administrator will cease on the death of the person.

If you would like more information in relation to the process of appointing an Administrator and/ or application forms please contact:  

Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal 

Phone: 1800 657 500
Address: 38 Barrack Street, Hobart, TAS, 7000

There are three main duties of a Administrator:

  • Act in the best interests of the person whose affairs they are managing;
  • Encourage and assist that person to become capable of managing their financial affairs;
  • Consult with that person and take into account, as far as possible, their wishes.

Some tasks a Administrator may be required to undertake include:

  • protecting assets;
  • dealing with personal property and real estate;
  • collecting income, such as dividends from shares, rents, pension entitlements or interest;
  • developing a budget management plan;
  • paying bills and accounts;
  • developing and maintaining an appropriate investment portfolio;
  • completing tax returns and pension reviews;
  • liaising with government, community and private agencies; and
  • providing full financial statements to the client and appropriate authorities.

If someone over 18 years old is having difficulty managing their financial affairs due to a disability or impaired decision-making ability, the Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (the Tribunal) can issue an administration order.

In contrast, an enduring power of attorney is a legal document where an individual appoints another person/ or a statutory trustee company (such as the Public Trustee) to manage their financial affairs if their decision-making ability was impaired or they no longer wanted the responsibility.

The distinct advantage of an enduring power of attorney is that it allows you to choose who will manage your financial affairs. In order to make an enduring power of attorney you need to have the necessary mental capacity to understand the meaning and effect of the document.

The Tribunal will not appoint an administrator if there is a valid enduring power of attorney in place UNLESS the attorney is not acting in the best interests of the person concerned.

When managing your everyday finances, we work hard to ensure your best interests are supported. We will carefully consider all the requests you make.

We will send you a statement at least once a year showing all your transactions. If you have any questions about your finances please contact our team.

The Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (the Tribunal) makes an order for a period of time (usually three years). The Tribunal will review the order before it ends. At the review, the Tribunal will check to see that your needs are being met and will decide if you still need our help.

If you have any questions, please contact your Client Account Manager.

If you are dissatisfied with the response from your Client Account Manager, please go to see our Feedback and Complaints process

As your Financial Administrator, we may need to collect personal information about you so that we can understand your financial matters in detail.

We will only use the personal information that we collect about you for the purpose of managing your finances. We may need to share some of your information with others (like contractors or agents of the Public Trustee), so that they can provide advice or a service for your benefit.

All of our actions have to follow the laws about privacy to make sure that you are protected and that we can do our job. The Public Trustee is governed by the laws set out in The Personal Information Protection Act 2004, The Public Trustee Act 1930, and The Guardianship and Administration Act 1995.

The Public Trustee has adopted the following standards in communicating with our clients.


  • When you leave a message we will return your call promptly, but in any event within one working day of receipt of the message
  • Voicemail messages will state if the person you are calling is away for more than one working day and will provide an alternative contact number
  • We will make every effort to provide you with a response as quickly as possible
  • If we are unable to deal with your query we will try to put you in contact with someone who can assist you 


  • We will reply to non-urgent correspondence within 10 working days
  • We will contact you to inform you of progress if a final reply is not issued within 10 working days
  • We will reply to urgent correspondence where possible on the same day, but in any event within 1 working day
  • We will communicate clearly providing you with a response to the matters raised. 


  • We will ensure that our reception and meeting facilities are clean, accessible and maintained to a high standard of comfort and safety
  • We will provide you with the maximum level of privacy possible
  • We will meet you at the appointed time, or let you know if there are any delays and be helpful and courteous in our dealings with you


The Public Trustee places a high level of value on feedback from our clients and also has a formal policy for dealing with any concerns or complaints.


Sign Up to receive our news

We’ll keep you informed but not overwhelmed.

Follow us

Your feedback

Give us a compliment

Tell us your complaint

Make a suggestion