Elder abuse is a daily reality for many Tasmanians. This is often the result of the limited communication that comes with social isolation, especially during the coronavirus crisis.
In many cases older Tasmanians are unaware they are the victim of elder abuse. You should ask yourself the below six questions to learn more about your own situation:
- Am I being treated with respect?
- Do I know how my money is being spent?
- Do I choose what happens in my home?
- Are the decisions about my life in my best interest?
- Does my Will reflect my own wishes?
- Do I know where my medication is?
If you answered ‘no’ to any one of these question you may want to talk to someone you trust.
The Tasmanian Elder Abuse Helpline is a free and confidential service you can reach via 1800 441 169. It’s okay to ask questions.